Study Permits

Student Direct Stream

Canada provides expedited Study Permit processing for international students from key Asian markets via the Student Direct Stream. Depending on where you live, you may be able to get your study permit faster through the Student Direct Stream. Most Student Direct Stream applications are processed within 20 calendar days. However, some applications may take longer than this.

Who is eligible for Student Direct Stream

To be eligible for faster processing through the Student Direct Stream, you must:

  • be a legal resident living in:
    • China
    • India
    • Pakistan
    • the Philippines or
    • Vietnam
  • have an acceptance letter from a post-secondary designated learning institution
  • prove that you’ve paid the tuition fees for your first year of study
  • live outside of Canada when you apply
  • have a Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) of CAN$10,000
  • get a medical exam before you apply (if you need one)
  • get a police certificate before you apply (if you need one)
  • have your most recent secondary or post-secondary school transcript(s)
  • have a language test result that shows a score of 6.0 or higher in each skill (reading, writing, speaking and listening) on the International English Language Testing System (IELTS)

Who isn’t eligible for the Student Direct Stream

If you live anywhere other than 1 of the countries listed above (even if you’re a citizen of one of the countries above), you must apply through the regular study permit application process.

Note: If you live in another country (even if you’re a citizen of one of the countries above), or if you don’t meet the eligibility for faster processing, you may still be eligible for a study permit through the regular study permit application process.

Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC)

A GIC is a Canadian investment that has a guaranteed rate of return for a fixed period of time. Many banks offer GICs. The bank that gives you the GIC must:

  • confirm that you bought a GIC by giving you 1 of the following:
    • a letter of attestation
    • a GIC certificate
    • an Investment Directions Confirmation or
    • an Investment Balance Confirmation
  • hold the GIC in an investment account or a student account that you can’t access until you arrive in Canada
  • make you confirm your identity before they release any funds to you
  • release the funds to you by providing:
    • an initial lump sum once you identify yourself upon arrival in Canada
    • the remainder of the funds in monthly or bi-monthly installments over 10 to 12 months

If your bank or GIC doesn’t meet these criteria, you won’t be able to apply through the Student Direct Stream.

Banks that offer GICs

You can get a GIC from a bank listed on the Canadian Deposit Insurance Company website. Make sure the bank you choose offers a GIC and meets the criteria for the Student Direct Stream.

The following banks offer GICs that meet the criteria:

  • Bank of Beijing
  • Bank of China
  • Bank of Montreal
  • Bank of Xian Co. Ltd.
  • Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce (CIBC)
  • Habib Canadian Bank
  • HSBC Bank of Canada
  • ICICI Bank
  • Industrial and Commercial Bank of China
  • RBC Royal Bank
  • SBI Canada Bank
  • Scotiabank

Medical exams and police certificates

Depending on where you’re applying from, you may need to get a medical exam or police certificate.

 Who needs a police certificate

Your visa office instructions will tell you if you need to get a police certificate. You’ll find these instructions when you select your country of residence below. Make sure you read these instructions before you apply, so you know if you need a police certificate or any other documents to apply.Bring your spouse, partner or child with you to Canada

Your spouse, common-law partner and dependent children may also be able to get faster processing on a:

  • visitor visa
  • work permit
  • study permit

You must complete and submit their applications at the same time as your own. If you don’t, we won’t process their applications faster. When you apply online, select that you have family members coming with you to Canada. This will let you complete their applications with yours.

Apply through the Student Direct Stream

You must apply online to get faster processing on your study permit. There’s no paper application for the Student Direct Stream. Make sure you include all the documents required with your application.

Student permit is a temporary permit. It is therefore very important that the visa officer must be satisfied that the applicant will leave Canada after she/he completes the studies. The refusal rate of student permits is high because it really is not easy to prove the intent to return. In addition to the supporting documents that the Immigration Refugee and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) lists in their check list, there is a number of documents that you should include with your application to improve your chances to be approved.

Three easy steps to study in Canada as an International Student:

• Our Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (RCIC) will help you to choose the right school, college or university and the right study program for you
• Once your program of study is finalized, we would complete the necessary school registration process in Canada
• Upon issuance of official Letter of Acceptance from educational institution in Canada, we would handle your Study Permit application process

How to get started?

Simply fill out the form below and we will contact you  within two business days:

Click here for free online assessment of your eligibility.


Leave a Reply