Family Class members are people sponsored to come to Canada by a person who is a Canadian Citizen or a Permanent Resident of Canada. The Family Class applicant must be the sponsor’s:

spouse, common-law or conjugal partner;

dependant child, including a child adopted abroad;

child under 18 to be adopted in Canada;

parents or grandparents; or

an orphaned child under 18 who is a brother, sister, niece, nephew or grandchild and is not a spouse or common-law partner.

You can sponsor your spouse, partner or dependent children if you are eligible and you promise to support the financially so that they do not need any social assistance from the government. You can present your recent Notice of Assessment from Canada Revenue Agency and proof of your employment.

Sponsor your spouse, partner or dependent child

Eligibility Criteria:

You can sponsor your spouse, partner or dependent child if:

  • You’re at least 18 years old
  • You’re a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada
  • If you’re a Canadian citizen living outside Canada, you must show that you plan to live in Canada when the persons you want to sponsor become permanent residents.
  • You can’t sponsor someone if you’re a permanent resident living outside Canada.
  • You’re able to prove that you’re not receiving social assistance for reasons other than a disability
  • you can provide for the basic needs of any persons you want to sponsor

Dependent Children:

  • Children qualify as dependants if they are they’re under 22 years old and they don’t have a spouse or common law partner
  • Children 22 years old or older qualify as dependants if they are unable to financially support themselves because of a mental or physical condition and they have depended on their parents for financial support since before the age of 22.
  • Your dependent child must continue to meet these requirements until we finish processing your application.